Revs End Busy Summer Stretch with Mixed Results

The New England Revolution concluded their busy summer schedule with mixed results as they bested the Colorado Rapids 3-0 in a midweek game before suffering a 2-1 defeat to the New York Red Bulls on Saturday.

The Revs entered Wednesday’s game against Rapids on an eight-game losing streak. The common thread during the run of bad form was allowing opponents to score the inaugural goal. The Revolution reversed this trend in 10th minute when Lee Nguyen hit a shot on frame that was re-directed by Drew Moor. Kevin Alston initiated the play with a throw-in that Charlie Davies laid off for Nguyen.

The Rapids had a good chance to equalize in the 69th minute when substitute Dillion Powers fired a shot from just outside the 18 yard box. Bobby Shuttleworth made the save with Jose Goncalves cleaning up the rebound.

Chances of a comeback would decrease in the 74th minute when Thomas Piermayr was shown a second yellow for a foul on Steve Neumann. Piermayr’s first card came in the 31st minute for an off the ball offense.

After Piermayr left the field, Nguyen put a stunning 19 yard free kick past Clint Irwin to double the Revolution lead.

Kelyn Rowe would put the game out of reach in the 78th minute when he finished off a pristine pass provided by Nguyen. The goal was the first of the season for Rowe. The game would end 3-0 in favor of the Revs.

With the losing streak in the past, the Revolution traveled to Red Bull Arena for their final game before a bye-week. Head coach Jay Heaps made one change to the starting lineup as he preferred Steve Neumann over Diego Fagundez.

For the second time that week, the Revs would grab the first goal as Davies opened his account with a header in the 20th minute. Although he wasn’t credited with an assist, Teal Bunbury helped create the opportunity with a cross that was deflected by a Red Bull defender.

The Revs would gain a man advantage in first half stoppage time when Matt Miazga was issued a straight red for a late tackle on Nguyen. Replays showed that the Homegrown player pulled out to try to prevent serious injury, but this mattered little to referee Allen Chapman.

The Revs entered the locker room in a good position to break the Red Bull Arena hex. However, the play in the second half would greatly favor New York. The Red Bulls found an equalizer in the 47th minute when Dax McCarty chipped Shuttleworth from 20 yards out.

The game-winner came in the 63rd minute when Bradley Wright-Phillips shook off A.J. Soares before putting his shot just inside the far post. Lloyd Sam played helper for Wright-Phillips’ league-leading 18th goal.

The Revs will now have a bye-week before welcoming the Portland Timbers to Gillette Stadium on August 16th.

(Image courtesy of Kari Heistad)