In 117th MLS match of the 2012 season, the Montreal Impact and Colorado Rapids will meet for the first time ever. The Impact’s undefeated streak was snapped after four games, via theNew York Red Bulls last weekend. The team is currently in 7th place (with 12pts from 12 games) in the MLS’ Eastern Conference.
The Rapids, currently on a long homestand at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, come into this one sitting in 5th place (16pts from 12 games) in the Western Conference. Colorado was down 2-0 to Sporting KC last weekend, before coming back to tie the game and earn a draw.
“Every game it brings you different challenges, you could call them extra challenges but different challenges,” Colorado head-man Oscar Pareja told MLSsoccer.com. “You play against Montreal that is just getting new players and this is the first time that they come here, but at the same time it’s a team that can surprise.”
Some interesting facts about these two teams (according to MLSSoccer.com):
- Have also scored 15 of their 17 goals this season in the second half.
- Have had 10 different players score goals, most among teams in the league.
- Their last game against SKC started a stretch of five out of six games at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for the Rapids, who have only the June 16 trip to Vancouver in league play between now and the start of July.
- Have conceded four penalties this season, most of any team in the league.
- Their last game, against the New York Red Bulls, was the club’s final regular season game this season at Olympic Stadium. Their next home game – June 16 vs. Seattle – will be played at Stade Saputo.
- Announced Thursday the signing of Italian striker Marco DiVaio. He will be available with the opening of the secondary transfer window June 27. The 35-year-old Di Vaio, is one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of first division soccer in Italy, with 142 goals in 342 games played in Serie A, with Lazio, Bari, Salernitana, Parma, Juventus, Genoa and most recently Bologna, for the last four seasons.
(image courtesy of Getty Images)