If you are a soccer fan or know someone that is, the National Soccer Hall of Fame is a great destination to help you explore the game. This year, the induction ceremony for new hall-of-famers will be on Saturday, September 21, with other celebratory events happening that weekend. You may have a chance to see some of your favorite men’s and women’s professional soccer players and you will certainly have a memorable experience.
The National Soccer Hall of Fame
The National Soccer Hall of Fame is located at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. It opened in Texas in 2018 after moving from its former location in Oneonta, New York. At the Hall of Fame, you will see exhibits that celebrate the history of the game in the United States, acknowledge great players and coaches from the past, and share information about current soccer players. There are exhibits that focus on classic soccer memorabilia as well as interactive exhibits that use the latest in virtual reality technology. You can spend hours immersed in the game you love.
Induction Weekend Events
- The Induction Ceremony
Although it is an invitation-only event, the induction ceremony will be livestreamed at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 21. There are three categories of inductees: players, veterans, and builders. To qualify, players must have retired within three years but also have been active in U.S. soccer within ten years. Some of the potential player inductees this year include David Beckham, Aly Wagner, and Abby Wambach. Veterans are players who have not been on an active roster for more than ten years. Builders are non-players who have had a longstanding, positive impact on American soccer. This list includes officials, referees, coaches, and other leaders in the game.
- Induction Concert
Tickets are now available for the evening concert at Toyota Stadium that kicks off at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. This year, the featured artists are The Voice winner Maelyn Jarmon, OneRepublic, and The Fray. Come and rock out with your fellow soccer fans.
- Soccer Match – FC Dallas versus New York City FC
The time of this game on Sunday, September 22, is yet to be announced, but it is an exciting way to end the Hall of Fame festivities. After all, what better way to celebrate soccer than to watch a professional game? The inductees will also be acknowledged at half-time. The match will be held at Toyota Stadium, which has a 20,500-seat capacity.
Hotels near Toyota Stadium
There are several hotels conveniently located near Toyota Stadium including:
- Comfort Suites Frisco – Just across from the stadium, this hotel offers the traditional amenities of Wi-Fi, parking, and breakfast.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Frisco – Also kitty-corner to Toyota Stadium, this option has 121 rooms with some that are connected suites.
- Hyatt House Dallas/Frisco – Located about four miles from the stadium, this hotel has 132 rooms with full kitchens perfect for an extended stay. It also has important amenities such as free breakfast and Wi-Fi plus a pool and fitness center.
Other Things to Do During Your Stay
Sports are very popular in the Frisco area. The city has several minor league professional teams that feed into the larger Dallas teams. During your stay, you might have the opportunity to see some different sports action.
- Dr. Pepper Ballpark is the home of the Frisco Roughriders, a AA minor league team.
- The Ford Center at the Star hosts the Dallas Rattlers lacrosse team.
- The Comerica Center hosts the Texas Legends basketball team, an NBA G League team, and is the practice facility for the NHL Dallas Stars.